Faces of 409 – LaTisha Downing

LaTisha Downing is our new Central principal!  She grew up in Atchison and has been an educator for  18 years. 13 of those years have been in Atchison teaching Special Education for 8 years, Third Grade for 3 Years and 8th Grade ELA for 2 years.  LaTisha says that Atchison and the success of each and every student is very important to her.  Someone once told her, “To much is given, much is required.”  She took this quote to heart when she explained why she wanted to become a principal.  She has so much to give and wanted to take that quote to heart and mentor and work with not only students but staff as well!  She says, “I knew there was great work for me to do in education so I decided to make the move to be the Principal at Central.”

Latisha has three children and a dog named Sparkle!  She enjoys reading, thrift shopping, singing, spending time with her family! She loves spending time with her children and watching them excel in the things they love to do. Family means love and singing with her Praise and Worship Team at church. It brings her joy. Her favorite book right now is, “Becoming” by Michelle Obama.

When asked what most excites her about her new position she explained, “being a leader means all the tools and experiences I have learned from being a teacher will be used to serve teachers and students in a different capacity. I am now an even bigger cheerleader not only for the success of students but also teachers. I am super proud to be at Central. There is a family atmosphere there and that is very important to me.”

LaTisha said that her goal this year for Central is to take all the great things that make Central so special and continue to build on them and to make it an even more successful school year.  She wants students to have the tools, both academic and life skills, to be successful citizens of Atchison!